Malaysia is a country of diversity. It is home to numerous ethnic groups, races and religions. Its geographical location is almost as diverse as its culture. Malaysia, known as the gateway to Asia, has just about the right balance of city life and nature. From Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Twin Towers to rainforests, Malaysia has a bit of everything.
Education system in Malaysia
The higher education system is governed by the Malaysian Ministry of Education. There are two types of institutions: colleges and universities. Malaysia is also well known for being home to branch campuses of foreign institutions at affordable tuition rates. Examples of such universities are Monash University, Swinburne University of Technology, Curtin University of Technology, University of Nottingham, Raffles Design Institute and SAE Institute.
- Colleges: Colleges in Malaysia mostly function as independent institutions, and they do not have any university statuses. Colleges are meant for transiting into the university level of education. Hence, most Malaysian colleges offer undergraduate degrees or bridge courses for students.
- Universities: A number of universities in Malaysia offer undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. In addition, parent campuses of some of the top universities in countries like the UK, Australia and Ireland have established branch campuses in Malaysia. Branch campuses offer an equivalent degree to students, similar to what they offer at parent campuses, but at an affordable cost.
Benefits of studying in Malaysia
- Multicultural environment where students get to know various people from different religion and culture.
- A politically stable country.
- International standard of education, with post-study work opportunities. Since Malaysia looks for skilled workers, the industries are in need for good graduates always.
- A range of programmes are on offer for students, along with twinning programmes and programmes that are on offer by branch campuses.
- Straightforward immigration procedures that make it easier for students to transit to the country.
- Safe country for international students. As per the Global Peace Index, Malaysia ranks 29th on the list of most peaceful country in the world, out of a list of 163 countries.
- Fantastic travel destination for travelholics!
- Malaysia is a food haven for those who can’t live without experiencing some incredible cuisines in the world.
- Students can receive degrees from countries like the UK, the USA and Australia.
- Last but not least, Malaysia is an affordable study destination for students.
One of the most popular reasons why international students choose Malaysia is its relatively affordable cost of living and tuition fees. Students will also find that the accommodation options are quite affordable.